What pond supplies do I need?
Ontdek alles wat essentieel is en wat niet vereist is om een vijver op de meest natuurlijke manier te onderhouden.
If you have the right setup for your pond, you don't need to use energy-consuming pond pumps, filters or water improvers
There are four groups of aquatic plants that can help keep your pond clear and create a biological balance.
Pond plant packages
100% organically grown and only hardy varieties
What pond supplies do I need?
There are several pond supplies needed for a natural pond, and some of them are more important than others. Here are some essential supplies you should consider:
Necessary pond supplies:
- Pond plants: helps to biologically balance water and prevent algae and bacterial growth.
- A biological plant filter: helps break down organic waste and maintain good water quality.
- Pond substrate: a porous material used in a pond to grow beneficial bacteria that break down organic waste and purify the water. It also provides a stable substrate for aquatic plants to grow on and helps absorb excess nutrients. It improves water quality in a pond and makes it healthier for fish and other aquatic organisms.
- Pond bacteria: play an important role in breaking down organic waste in the pond. They help convert ammonia and nitrite, which are toxic to fish, to less harmful substances such as nitrate. This process, known as the nitrogen cycle, maintains a healthy ecological balance in the pond and helps improve water quality.
Superfluous pond supplies (if the pond is properly set up):
- Pond Pump: A pond pump may become unnecessary if the pond is properly decorated with aquatic plants, because the plants themselves contribute to purifying and aerating the water. Aquatic plants produce oxygen and absorb nutrients that could otherwise lead to excessive algae blooms and murky water. Through the process of photosynthesis, they release oxygen to the water and absorb carbon dioxide. This ensures better water quality and a healthier ecological balance in the pond.
- UV lamp: helps remove harmful bacteria and algae, but can also kill beneficial bacteria necessary for ecological balance.
- Skimmer: helps remove surface debris, but can trap beneficial insects and small animals.
- Chemical water treatments: can be effective in controlling algae and bacteria, but can also be harmful to the environment and fish in the pond.
It is important to remember that each type of pond is unique and has different needs. It is always a good idea to consult a professional for advice on which pond supplies are best for your particular situation.
All about pond supplies
Submersible or dirty water pumps | Refurbishing pondChris van der Velde
Have you already filled the pond and would like the...
Skimmer | Skimmers are unnecessary when ponds are set up correctlyChris van der Velde
Through the use of skimmers, debris adhering to...
Air pumps | Air pump aquarium or pond, it can be done without.Chris van der Velde
A pond air pump pumps air into the water....
Bacteria | Everything you need to know about bacteria and the importance of bacteria in the pondChris van der Velde
Pond bacteria are microorganisms naturally present in ponds...
UV Lamp pond | Is a UV C lamp or UV filter needed in the pond?Chris van der Velde
A pond in the garden can be a great addition ...
7 x pond supplies you can save money onChris van der Velde
Pond supplies, this is something you need to think about....
Pond filters | You don't need a pond filter with pump if your pond is set up properlyChris van der Velde
Every pond owner would like to have a healthy pond, but...
Pond pumps | What pond pump do I need for my pond?Chris van der Velde
What does a pond pump cost in electricity, what different types of pond pumps...
Substrates | What is substrate and what different types are there?Chris van der Velde
Substrate is the foundation for your pond because it is a...
Pond ponds | How to build a pond pond and what to look out for when buying a pond pond?Chris van der Velde
Ponds are an important element in forming a...
Pond pond or pond liner | 10 arguments for a pond with rubber liner.Simon van der Velde
It could just be that you have been dreaming for years about...
Pond liners | Which pond liner to choose: rubber EPDM pond liner or PVC pond liner?Simon van der Velde
Are you thinking about constructing a pond in your garden?
Pond Pump | Do you even need one and how to create a clear pond without a pump or filter?Simon van der Velde
Many people are under the impression that a pond is always...